Manage episode 193455318 series 1579167
The Berkshire Edge LLC is a locally owned, regional publication. Our goal is to provide – regularly and in depth – content that truly reflects the life, interests and aspirations of this unusually rich and vibrant community.
Guided by respected journalistic standards, the principle of fairness, the quest for truth, a commitment to social, economic and environmental justice, and an abiding admiration for the independent spirit of the Berkshires, The Berkshire Edge offers in-depth local news reports and features, perspectives on the arts, wide-ranging commentary, and a comprehensive calendar of events – all written, illustrated, and, in some cases performed, with wit, intelligence, insight and humor.
This week we talk about:
1. On Tuesday we reported on a survey showing that, despite the best efforts of the Trump government, people are signing up in record numbers for the Affordable Care Act.
2. The Berkshire Edge introduced a membership program.
3. In a residential neighborhood in Great Barrington, there is a legacy trash collection and property management company. The company brings all kinds of heavy equipment in and out of the neighborhood on Blue Hill Road. The town of GB issued Cease & Desist orders seven years ago, but there is no enforcement and the operations continue. Neighbors came to the Selectboard meeting Monday night to insist that the town enforce the Cease & Desist orders.
4. The Berkshire Botanical Garden has opened a $2.3 million center in hopes of becoming a year-round destination. The building contains meeting and lecture rooms, a professional kitchen and a living wall.
5. The Mount Everett Middle School robotics team is going to the regional championships. These kids build robots, and they have one called Hyper Space that negotiates an obstacle course, performing different task along the way. Two girls are among the nine members of the team.
6. Berkshares is our very own local currency, and the E.F. Schumacher Society, which created the currency. Each month, a Berkshares Business of the Month is designated, and this month the award was given to the Nonprofit Center of the Berkshires.
991 episodes available. A new episode about every 3 hours averaging 16 mins duration .